Gå til indhold

I did my medical training outside the European Union

In order to practise medicine in Denmark, Greenland and the Faroe Islands - and become a member - you must hold a Danish authorisation.

The Danish Patient Safety Authority (Styrelsen for Patientsikkerhed) is responsible for issuing the authorisations. 
If you are a medical doctor from a country outside the European Union or a non-Nordic country and want to work in Denmark, you can apply for an authorisation here.

In order to obtain an authorisation to practise medicine, you must accomplish the following:

  • Approval of your medical exam papers
  • Pass a Danish language proficiency test. Please see the requirements on the Danish Patient Safety Authority's website
    A list of Danish language course providers can be found here 
  • Pass required medical exams and a course in Danish health legislation 

Please note that it may take several years to obtain a Danish authorisation and permission to work independently as a medical doctor.